Monday, September 13, 2010

From the mouth of Andrew, as scribed by Jenn:

Grad school has been a totally new experience. More than anything else, I think it made me realize just how easy I had it in undergrad. I spend so much time during the day thinking of arguments, breaking down arguments, exploding arguments, decimating arguments and arguing arguments that when I come home I am thoroughly pacified. (That's a lie, Jenn adds). I haven't had an existential crisis yet but my longest paper due so far has been about four pages, so. That will come in its own time.

Classes take place on the fourth floor of the C (something, Catharine, Cristiana, Catharine?) Irish Tanner Humanities Building. I trek about a mile across campus to get to it and have gotten a couple of comments so far about how much weight I have lost, which I assume is from this. It's weird having so many people I recognize as customers from Liberty Heights in the stairwells of the building or in line for coffee, but I guess that is something I'll have to get used to. My classmates are cool. About a 6-1 female ratio. That's not true--9-1 ratio. It's good, stimulating fun! A++.

I am taking four classes right now. Actually, I'm taking three classes right now and one will be meeting for two weeks. Pragmatism, Metaethics and Modality, A ProSeminar (wherein we discuss different topics covering a range of fields and learn how to be a philosopher), and I will be taking Metaphysics in a couple of weeks. For the most part, the classes cover material I have never had exposure to, particularly at this degree of professional. . .osity.

I have to go read. . .and read. . .and read tonight and consider what to make for dinner! I'm thinking sausage.

--

And there it is! Andrew's first post on the blog! We have decided on sausage for dinner.

On a slightly different note, when do you decide to change jobs? When do you decide to go back to school? How do you know the choice you are making is a smart one? Real life, you are a vague, impish minx.

2 comments:

  1. 1. Thank you for being the force behind my getting to hear a little from my brother. I much enjoyed.

    2. Perhaps there's been too much philosophy when Andy's only considering dinner rather than making dinner?

    3. You change jobs when the fear of the unknown is less scary than continuing to live with the known. At least that's when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with chitarita on point 3. And for my own choice of when to go back to school, right now I've decided it's when you want to change jobs, but not careers and you don't think you can get a new job in the career you're in. I'm sure there are other reasons though.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog