Sunday, August 16, 2015

Day 2 and 3

Everybody says day 3 is one of the worst days post surgery. Today has been challenging, but in a bit of a different way than other surgeries I've had. My pain levels remain surprisingly low overall-- I take this as a good sign that I have been using my CPM device enough to keep ahead of adhesions, and that we have been balancing my pain medication well enough between overly doped up and too little. IBU Profin does nothing to touch the bone pain when I am feeling it, but it goes a long way to decrease the swelling, which ultimately decreases the pain a bit too. 

I am completely non-weight bearing on my left leg and am not allowed to engage my quad muscles to prevent straining the healing bone and cartilage, so I need help lifting my leg on and off of the couch, and I have to wear a belt for someone to hold onto as they walk me wherever I'm going to make sure I don't slip. Any kind of a fall would be totally disastrous at this point. It's these sorts of things that are keeping me solidly at a totally dependent state. Can't get off of the couch on my own, can't get to the kitchen or bathroom on my own, no stairs of any kind, still a little while until I can shower. I'm so, so, so grateful that Andrew and my mom have been on deck to help me with this, I have no idea how people do it alone. 

Toughest thing for sure is balancing food, pain medication, and keeping my digestive system going, though. Feel free to skip this if it's TMI. I got really sick yesterday (Saturday) afternoon and found that basically everything I had eaten all day (which wasn't a ton to begin with) hadn't been digested at all and was just sitting around. I'm on several different things to help keep my digestive tract running, but there is only so much you can do while your body is readjusting after surgery. So, got really sick, took several
hours to get to the point where I could keep pain medication down without it coming back up, which put me behind on pain management, which I had to catch up with. That takes a while. I'm so glad I am not also having to contend with absolutely blinding pain that other people have described. It definitely hurts, but the meds they have given me really cut through it.

Today has been mostly sleeping, prune juice, and crackers. Also binging on Rome. Once I'm a little less cloudy headed I am going to start into a couple of knitting projects, but I have to find what very safe box I packed them into. We're getting there with unpacking, and as soon as I am more mobile, it'll go even faster! Here's to a fast recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog