Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Still busy, holy cow! Andrew has some big papers and projects due in the next week, which coincides with the beginning of my (hopefully permanent for winter) four 10's schedule, so my working late actually helps save him from the distraction that is a bored wife. (Wife, WEIRD).

Unless Andrew has anything else to add, the most interesting thing that happened today is our learning that I sadly need hand surgery to repair the nerve that I sliced in my thumb. Normally the surgeon wouldn't suggest surgery, but my learning falconry for work requires that I have feeling on the portion of my thumb that is numb, allowing me to know if I'm applying enough pressure to keep the bird's jesses in place. In a sense, I guess it's lucky that my current line of work requires feeling in that particular area, because I have a good chance of regaining full sensation to the left top half of my thumb, whereas otherwise I would have just had to adjust to the lack of feeling.

I also learned what a neuroma is, which forms when a nerve is damaged and which I have. My own little neuroma causes these weird shocks to shoot up my thumb whenever I extend my hand, but now that I KNOW what's causing the pain, it doesn't seem half as bad so much as it seems sort of cool. The body totally rocks.

Lastly, did you know that for nerve repair, surgeons use a suture that is 1/3rd the width of a normal human hair? The surgeon alternately described it as being as thick as three blood cells lined end to end. SO. COOL.

Surgery is set for November 23rd, giving me just enough time to not be super loopy for Thanksgiving (avec espoir).

1 comment:

  1. bored wives are indeed a hazard to productivity ;-) Will you teach me falconry when you're done? I need a skill for mad max days.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog